December 21, 2009

Essential | Fair Isle Sweater


Fair Isle: a traditional knitting technique used to create patterns with multiple colours. It is named after Fair Isle, a tiny island in the north of Scotland, between the Orkney and Shetland islands. Fair Isle knitting gained a considerable popularity when the Prince of Wales (later to become Edward VIII) wore Fair Isle Tank tops in public in 1921. Traditional Fair Isle patterns have a limited palette of five or so colours, use only two colours per row, are worked in the round, and limit the length of a run of any particular colour.

As Winter officially arrives tomorrow,  I know I am going to need something a little more than just flannel to keep me warm.  Fair Isle sweaters are just the item that will fill my void.  I love these! 

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog - great work!

    -Dale
    thelumpypudding.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...