January 10, 2014

Essential Bike | Spiran designed by People People

Spiran Bike:

As you all know from my previous posts, I am a bike fanatic/enthusiast/collector.  I love bikes so much that if the right bike came along, I would trade my car for it, which brings me to the Spiran bike.  The Spiran is a concept bike that, if your familiar is related to the Kronan.  If your not familiar with that I have enclosed a brief history below.  The Spiran is still very much a concept bike, but Im hoping the people at People People of Sweden put this bike into production and send me one to try out.  The Spiran is gorgeous.  In fact I may not even ride it, it so beautiful I may hang it in my loft and stare at it.  Either way there is something so beautiful about the pairing of raw, unpainted, non-decaled steel with utilitarian design.  Its not bastardized and its clean as whistle.  



History:

If you see similarities in the Kronan, thats because their related.  For many years the Kronan bike have been appreciated by many swedes for its simple, robust and clever design. Kronan is designed like the traditional swedish military bikes, which means it automatically is something all swedes can relate to and appreciate. We at People People love this bike, but we also think it’s a bit heavy and clumsy for a modern city contexts. Therefore we decided to design a successor. We call it “Spiran” which is sort of the sleeker and younger sibling of Kronan that moved into the city. The name Kronan is swedish for “Crown”, and Spiran means “Scepter”.

Just like Kronan takes inspiration from an old classic, we decided to take inspiration from old swedish post and delivery bikes. This is partly because it is a heritage of simple robustness, but also because the need of transporting things on your bike remains very important in a modern city context.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...